Are you looking for a tasty, cheap and delicious meal to serve up on those chilly winter nights? Here is one of my one pot winter favourites. Serve it with a side of greens. It tastes even better the next day spooned inside of an iceberg lettuce leaf for a delicious crunchy treat.
- 400g of beef mince
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of minced ginger
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 Heaped tablespoon of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of gram masala powder
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- Garnish with fresh coriander (optional)
- Heat olive oil and cook off all of the spices (ginger, garlic, curry powder, turmeric, chilli, cinnamon, gram masala) for 1 minute while stirring to prevent them from sticking.
- Add the onion and beef and cook until browned.
- Add the rice and stir for 1 through for 1 minute.
- Add all of the other ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Tip: Make a double batch and freeze half and cut down on cooking.