Our salmon comes from Sanford, farmed at Big Glory bay in Stewart Island. The king salmon species farmed here are often heralded as the very best salmon species in terms of taste, texture and nutritional quality. This quality has been recognised by world-renowned Monterey Bay Aquarium – who has named New Zealand King Salmon the world’s most environmentally sustainable farmed salmon.
You can purchase fresh salmon at Halswell Butchery, or try out our absolutely delicious hot smoked salmon. Once the fresh fish arrives, we fillet and smoke it on the premises. Because it's hot smoked, you don't need to cook it, so it is perfect for crackers, in salads, or in pasta.
2: Ham & Dry Cured Bacon
Our hams are all cooked on the premises, with minimal water added. You can purchase them whole, or we can slice to order.
All the bacon we sell is dry cured the old-style way on our premises. As the name suggests, dry curing means that no water is added. This ensures that whether you are pan frying or grilling, the bacon doesn't steam, ensuring you get a lovely, crispy result. Prefect for your weekend breakfast!
A large range of loin, shoulder and Danish style (using just the eye) options, with or without rind are available. Check them out next time you're in.
3: Beef - Fillet and Rib Eye Steaks
Our premium steaks are all aged at least two weeks to maximise flavour.
Fillet steak is the tenderest cut available and is so lean, there is almost no waste.
Rib eye steak has a little more marbelling, which many believe provides a superior flavour.
4: Smallgoods - Salamis and Sausages
We stock a full range of salamis - from a feisty pepperoni, to strong garlic through to mild for those who like to take things a little more slowly.
If you're after an elegant addition to your antipasto platters, look no further than our delicious Prosciutto. Air dried and sliced thin, it's also fantastic to wrap around other meats or fruits.
Another one to try is our Pancetta - Italian bacon which adds a sophisticated touch to pastas and stews.
Sliced Chorizo is another option to spice up your antipasto. It's superb on crackers, or in many Spanish tapas dishes.
Kransky sausages, with their distinctive smoky flavour, make a great alternative for hot dogs, and are usually a big hit with the kids.
Frankfurters are the more traditional hot dog option - and who says you have to wait for the weather to get warm to enjoy a sausage in a bun??
We are extremely proud of our excellent range of cheeses. Some of our favourites are listed below. Be sure to ask if you need help deciding which to try!
- Danish Feta - made of cow's milk - ideal in salads and pastries
- Taleggio - an Italian cheese like a soft brie. It has a strong flavour with an almond overtone. It's fantastic melted, wonderful in sandwiches and also ideal for use on a platter with crackers or biscuits.
- Gruyere - also from Italy, this cheese has a fruity/nutty flavour and is ideal for fondues or on the platter.
- Parmigiano Reggiano is the king of cheeses. Aged for at least 3 years, this cheese has a sweet, fruity taste. It can be used in a wealth of ways - in sauces, salads, pasta or risotto.
- Grana Padano is Parmigiano's younger version. It's been aged at least 18 months and has a pineapple flavour. It can be used in the same way as Parmigiano.